Emmanuel Asamoah (left) who came under xenophobic attacks in South Africa arrived in Accra on Tuesday, May 5, 2026, from Johannesburg, accompanied by the Ghana High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quarshie (right)
Emmanuel Asamoah (left) who came under xenophobic attacks in South Africa arrived in Accra on Tuesday, May 5, 2026, from Johannesburg, accompanied by the Ghana High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quarshie (right)
Featured

Ghanaians who agree to be evacuated from South Africa will receive financial support for reintegration

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced a support package for Ghanaians who agree to be evacuated from South Africa following xenophobic attacks against foreign nationals.

The package includes financial assistance, transport support and psychosocial services for affected citizens returning home.

In a public notice issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday [May 20, 2026], the ministry said the intervention formed part of measures being taken in response to recent attacks on African migrants in parts of South Africa.

The ministry explained that some distressed Ghanaians had already been assisted to return home safely after videos circulated online showing migrants being harassed during anti-foreigner protests.

It added that about 300 Ghanaians had so far registered to leave South Africa following the escalation of the attacks.

Under the arrangement, evacuees will receive a “Welcome Home Financial Package” upon arrival in Ghana.

The government will also provide transport assistance to help returnees travel to their various destinations across the country.


The package further includes a reintegration allowance to support affected persons as they resettle after leaving South Africa under emergency conditions.

The ministry said free psychosocial support services would also be made available to returnees due to concerns over trauma and emotional distress linked to the attacks.

According to the ministry, evacuees will also be enrolled on a special government database to connect them with employment and business opportunities in Ghana.

It explained that the measures were intended to support citizens affected by the unrest and help them rebuild their lives after returning home.

The latest announcement follows increased diplomatic engagement between the Government of Ghana and South African authorities over the attacks.

The attacks have raised concerns among African countries with citizens living in South Africa.

faffairs


Our newsletter gives you access to a curated selection of the most important stories daily. Don't miss out. Subscribe Now.

Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |