Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa — Foreign Affairs Minister
Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa — Foreign Affairs Minister
Featured

Victims of jihadist attack expected to be evacuated

Ghanaian victims of last Saturday’s terrorist attack in Burkina Faso were evacuated to the country yesterday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has revealed.

This followed assessment by relevant authorities acting on the instructions of President John Dramani Mahama.

The exercise was to be carried out by the Ghana Airforce last night.

“On the instructions of President Mahama and with competent medical consultations, the government of Ghana has decided to immediately conduct medical evacuation by air of all Ghanaian victims in Burkina Faso,” a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.

It further revealed that the death toll of Ghanaian tomato traders killed by the jihadists in Burkina Faso last Saturday was now eight.

Initially, seven members of the Ghana National Tomatoes Traders and Transporters Association who were engaged in lawful trading activities in the Titao area in the northern province of Burkina Faso were attacked and killed by the terrorists.

The latest victim, also a member of the association, was one of four Ghanaians who sustained serious injuries and were receiving medical treatment before succumbing, the statement said.

President commiserates

The statement conveyed President John Dramani Mahama and the government’s “profound commiserations to the families and loved ones of all who have lost their lives”.

“The government of Ghana strongly condemns this mindless act of terror and expresses its solidarity with the government and people of Burkina Faso in this dark hour,” it added.

It said the “despicable horror must remind us of the urgent need for a new collective approach in pursuing regional security as Ghana has consistently called for, and which we reiterated at last month's High-Level Consultative Conference on Regional Cooperation and Security hosted by President John Mahama”.

Ghana's Ambassador to Burkina Faso and embassy staff, the statement said, were actively seized with the matter and maintaining direct contact with the injured Ghanaians.

“We acknowledge the full cooperation of the government of Burkina Faso in granting necessary approvals to facilitate government’s interventions aimed at protecting our citizens,” it added.

Travel protocols

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has outlined new guidelines for travel to high-risk areas within the sub-region.

Ghana's embassies and high commissions in selected jurisdictions are said to be on high consular alert.

The statement advised Ghanaians who intend to embark on essential travels to areas of concern to first contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Ghanaian embassies accredited to the territories they wish to visit for the necessary guidance.

“For Ghanaians already living in jurisdictions which are of concern and where violent extremism attacks have ben recorded, we recommend that movement be restricted and that one maintains regular communication with our embassies, including providing emergency contacts and ensuring that identification documents are accessible at all times to expedite the provision of consular assistance when the need arises,” the statement said.

It gave assurance that the government was closely monitoring the situation and remained in contact with relevant authorities to safeguard the welfare of citizens.

“The safety, security, and well-being of Ghanaians remain our utmost priority and further updates would be provided in this matter as and when necessary.

“Citizens in distress or requiring urgent consular assistance should reach out to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,” the statement added.


Our newsletter gives you access to a curated selection of the most important stories daily. Don't miss out. Subscribe Now.

Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |