Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, stressing a point during the media briefing
Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, stressing a point during the media briefing
Featured

We’ll deal with galamsey ruthlessly: Ban, state of emergency, other options on table - Lands Minister

The government is open to deploying any option that will prove most effective for clamping down on illegal mining activities, including declaration of state of emergency and a temporary ban on small-scale mining, the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, has stated.

Addressing the media in Accra yesterday, the minister said a request had been sent to President John Dramani Mahama to review the directive for confiscation of excavators to include an option to burn the equipment in situations where the Forestry Commission’s rapid response team (RRT) and the security team faced challenges moving them out of red zones.

Mr Buah said the request had become necessary following reports by the Forestry Commission and the security team that some illegal miners immobilised excavators, making it impossible to evacuate them from forest reserves.

Also, the minister said discussions were ongoing to restrict the importation of excavators for mining purposes. 

Galamsey bigwigs

The minister further stressed that the government had taken a firm decision to smoke out so-called powerful persons behind the illegal mining menace.

"This government is committed to fighting this galamsey menace.

Those who are involved in galamsey and their political collaborators must be warned.

Any attempt to make calls for the release of an excavator or a person arrested for galamsey will not be countenanced at all; they will not succeed," Mr Buah stressed. 

While giving the assurance, the minister said the fight would require collaboration from both state and non-state actors to win.

Describing illegal miners as terrorists, the minister said the country’s security architecture would be relied on to clear the forests and water bodies of all illegal mining activities.

"We cannot allow a few people to make money at the expense of all of us.

They are terrorists; they are killing us and we cannot allow this to continue," he stressed.

Context

The previous government staged a fight against illegal mining for eight years.

Among other things, there was a ban on all forms of small-scale mining for almost two years; formation of an inter-ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining (IMCIM); deployment of joint police-military operations dubbed "Operation Vanguard and"

"Operation Halt"; the revision of the country’s mining laws and other initiatives.  However, in November, 2022, the military deployment to forest reserves was withdrawn.

When Mr Buah took over as the Lands and Natural Resources Minister in February this year, he provided media briefing on the state of illegal mining in the country, stating that an assessment of the galamsey situation had shown that 5,000 hectares of forest cover had been destroyed.

At yesterday's press briefing, he said the decision by the previous government to withdraw the military from forest reserves accounted for the surge in galamsey.

Government interventions

The minister said barely two months after taking office, modest gains had been made in the fight against illegal mining.

For instance, he said after retaking control of seven of the forest reserves that were “no go” areas, efforts were being made to take back the remaining two reserves.

He also cited the revocation of all small-scale mining licences issued after December 7, 2024, the setting up of a committee to review existing small-scale mining licences; launching of the Blue Water and Tree for Life programmes targeted at restoration polluted water bodies and degraded landscapes; as key measures that would help to deal with galamsey and its effect on the environment.

“We have also had engagement with the Office of the Attorney-General on the need to set up special courts to fast-track cases involving illegal miners. Currently the Attorney-General is taking steps constitute dedicated courts for that purpose,” he added.

Again, Mr Buah said, the operations by the security team had led to the arrest of 76 illegal miners in forest reserves and confiscation of 100 excavators, three bulldozers and outer mining equipment.

“We have developed serial coding for all the seized excavators to ensure that none of them get lost,” he said.

More work

In spite of the modest gains, Mr Buah said the government would not rest on its oars until the fight against galamsey had been won.

He stressed the need for the three arms of government to play their role well to help in stemming the tide.

The minister said efforts were underway to review the Mineral and Mining Policy to incorporate reforms aimed at decentralising the licensing regime, beginning at the district level, with a focus on transparency and community involvement.

Mr Buah also said education campaigns would be organised in collaboration with the Ministry of Education and the National Commission for Civic Education (NCCE) to integrate environmental awareness into the school curricula and public messaging.

He said given the complex and multifaceted nature of illegal mining, there was the need for all stakeholders, including traditional leaders, local assemblies, and civil society, to actively support initiatives meant to safeguard Ghana’s natural resources for present and future generations.

“The fight against illegal mining is a national priority, and sustained collaboration is essential to ensure lasting success,” he said.

Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |