North Korea may be preparing a rocket launch
North Korea may be preparing a rocket launch, US officials say, citing increased activity around the Sohae Satellite Launching Station.
One official told the AFP news agency that the launch might be "for a satellite or a space vehicle".
But nothing indicated it would be for a ballistic missile, the official added.
It comes as the UN Security Council discusses imposing fresh sanctions against North Korea after it conducted a fourth nuclear test on January 6.
Pyongyang said it had successfully tested a hydrogen bomb, but nuclear experts have questioned the claim, saying the blast was not large enough.
Yesterday, Japan's Kyodo news agency reported that Japanese officials were concerned with recent activity at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station, also known as Tongchang-ri.
Analysis of satellite imagery suggested preparations were under way for a missile or rocket launch, possibly within a week, the officials said.
South Korea's Yonhap news agency meanwhile cited a government source as saying screens had been set up at key areas at the site, probably to deter satellite surveillance.
Later, an unnamed US official in Washington told AFP: "The indications are that they are preparing for some kind of launch.
