Sunyani chieftaincy dispute still unresolved — Nana Boahen Korkor Royal Family
The Nana Boahen Korkor Royal Family has maintained that the protracted Sunyani chieftaincy dispute remains unresolved, rejecting assertions that all court cases connected to the matter have been withdrawn.
At a press conference last Friday, the Nyantakyiwaa Abusuapanin, J. A Danquah, clarified that during the engagements with the Minister of Local Government, Chieftaincy and Religious Affairs, Ahmed Ibrahim, no decision was taken to discontinue all court cases; rather, only the contempt cases cited by the factions against each other were to be withdrawn, not the substantive chieftaincy cases.
He explained that the meeting focused on the withdrawal of contempt applications filed by both sides, not the discontinuation of the substantive chieftaincy cases, insisting that no such conclusion was reached during the engagements with the minister.
“At no meeting was there an agreement to discontinue all court cases,” he stated.
Tensions
He also said the August 14, 2025, meeting convened by the minister in Accra was aimed at reducing tensions in Sunyani arising from the dispute between Nana Akosua Dua Asor Sika Brayie II, the Omanhemaa of Sunyani, and Yaw Agyare, who styles himself as Odeefour Ogyeamansan Boahen Korkor II.
He emphasised that the minister made it clear he was not adjudicating the matter, but seeking calm to allow the court processes to proceed to their logical conclusion.
He explained that the meeting produced a 10-point road map aimed at restoring calm and encouraging cooperation among the disputing parties.
Non compliance
He said a follow-up meeting was held on February 2, 2026, at the residence of the Bono Regional Minister, which revealed that only one or two of the agreed measures, such as the return of two regional queenmothers’ vehicles, had been implemented.
He said the acting President of the Traditional Council, Nana Kwaku Sarbeng Ababio II, attributed the non-compliance with the key recommendation — the immediate revocation of the queenmother’s suspension — to the need to perform certain customary rites, alleging that the queenmother had failed to cooperate.
However, the Royal Family maintained that the purported suspension was “out of order and of no effect,” arguing that the acting President lacked the authority to suspend the Omanhemaa.
He contended that only the Abusuapanin of the royal family, in consultation with elders, could initiate disciplinary action against her within the family structure.
He added that the Omanhemaa had continued to perform her official duties, including attending public functions and carrying out her responsibilities at the House of Chiefs Secretariat as Secretary of the Regional Queen mothers’ Association, without hindrance.
Contradictory claims
He also challenged statements made by Nana Ababio during a press conference on February 3, 2026, where he indicated that until the final determination of the substantive chieftaincy matter at the Bono Regional House of Chiefs, the rightful occupant of the Sunyani Paramount Stool was Odeefour Ogyeamansan Boahen Korkor II, while Nana Akosua Dua Asor Sika Brayie II remained Queenmother.
He described the assertion as contradictory, arguing that if there was a pending determination, it was inconsistent to describe any party as the rightful occupant of the stool.
Reiterating its long-held stance, the family maintained that under custom, the selection of a candidate for enstoolment as chief was the sole responsibility of the queenmother in consultation with principal elders of the royal family.
“No outside entity or authority, including the Sunyani Traditional Council, can impose a chief on the royal family,” he said, and added that they did not recognise Mr Agyare as Chief of Sunyani and had, therefore, sought redress in court.
He also clarified that neither the minister nor any government official had imposed any person on the royal family, stressing that the minister’s intervention was aimed at facilitating peace pending judicial determination.
Appeal
He appealed to the Judicial Committee of the Bono Regional House of Chiefs to expedite proceedings to ensure early resolution of the dispute.
He warned that prolonged adjudication risked deepening divisions in Sunyani, which would affect the peace and development of the area.
