Armed galamsey operators attack community taskforce; one dies
Armed galamsey operators attack community taskforce; one dies
Featured

One killed, five injured as armed galamsey operators attack community task force at Sefwi Asawinso

A 38 year old man has been killed while five others are receiving treatment after armed illegal miners attacked a community taskforce at the Afao Hills Forest Reserve near Sefwi Asawinso ‘A’ in the Western North Region.

The deceased, Kwame Ayisi, was part of a group led by the Odikro of Sefwi Asawinso ‘A’, Nana Kwesi Ayim III, to confront persons said to be engaging in illegal mining activities within the forest reserve.

The incident occurred on Monday, May 18, 2026.

A statement issued by the Public Affairs Directorate of the Western North Regional Police Command on Thursday, said the group encountered the suspected illegal miners upon arrival at the site.

According to the police, a confrontation broke out and the miners, who were armed with guns and cutlasses, attacked the group.

Five members of the taskforce sustained gunshot and cutlass wounds during the attack.

Kwame Ayisi was pronounced dead on arrival at the Anhwiaso Community Hospital, where the injured persons were also receiving treatment.


His body has been deposited at the hospital morgue pending autopsy.

The police said the injured persons were responding to treatment.

The statement said the Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai Divisional Police Command received information about the incident at about 3 p.m.

A team led by the District Commander and the Divisional Crime Officer proceeded to the hospital to commence investigations.

The police have arrested one suspect, Isaac Badu, also known as “Obede”, in connection with the attack.

The suspect is in police custody assisting with investigations, while efforts are underway to arrest other persons believed to have taken part in the attack.

The Regional Police Command appealed to the public to avoid the use of violence in settling disputes and urged persons with information on the incident to assist the police investigations.

The command also stated that security measures had been put in place to maintain peace in the affected communities.


Our newsletter gives you access to a curated selection of the most important stories daily. Don't miss out. Subscribe Now.

Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |