NACOC arrests suspects in anti-drug raids across Accra and Oti
Featured

NACOC arrests suspects in anti-drug raids across Accra and Oti

The Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) says it has arrested several suspects and seized quantities of illegal drugs following coordinated anti-narcotics operations in parts of Greater Accra and the Oti Region.

In a statement issued on May 18, 2026, NACOC said the intelligence-led operations were carried out over the weekend as part of efforts to clamp down on drug trafficking and substance abuse across the country.

The operations in Greater Accra targeted identified drug dens in Kissieman, Dome and Kwabenya, while another operation was conducted at Alavanyo in the Oti Region.

According to the Commission, officers retrieved quantities of suspected narcotic substances and other materials believed to be linked to drug activities during the exercises.

NACOC said all suspects arrested during the operations were in custody assisting investigations pending prosecution.

The Commission did not disclose the number of suspects arrested or the types and quantities of drugs retrieved.

It also did not identify officers involved in the operations.

The latest operations form part of a wider anti-drug campaign being carried out by NACOC across the country this year.

Earlier in 2026, the Commission conducted a four-day operation in Greater Accra and the Eastern Region, leading to the arrest of suspected drug dealers in Ashiaman and the seizure of cannabis, hashish, hashish oil and cannabis-infused products, including drinks and toffees, from areas such as Circle, Avenor and Labadi.

At the time, NACOC warned that some drug dealers were packaging narcotic substances in forms likely to attract young people and unsuspecting consumers.

On May 1, 2026, the Commission also carried out an operation in Winneba ahead of the Aboakyiri Festival. The exercise targeted known drug hotspots in the Effutu Municipality and led to the arrest of several suspects and the seizure of suspected narcotics.

In another operation on April 30, 2026, NACOC intercepted a 40-foot trailer carrying about five million tablets of Tapentadol 250mg believed to be heading to Niger.

Four suspects were arrested in connection with that case, which investigators suspected was linked to a wider cross-border drug trafficking network.


Our newsletter gives you access to a curated selection of the most important stories daily. Don't miss out. Subscribe Now.

Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |