Sam George and Abena Asare engage in heated mobile network quality discussion at Public Accounts Committee hearing
Featured

Sam George and Abena Asare engage in heated mobile network quality discussion at Public Accounts Committee hearing

The issue of the quality of mobile network services in Ghana in recent times was up for discussion at a hearing of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on Monday.

The discussion turned tense after the Minister of Communication, Digital Technology, and Innovations, Samuel Nartey George, and the committee chairperson, Abena Osei-Asare, exchanged sharp words over the worsening mobile network services and delays in telecom infrastructure expansion.

It started after committee members raised concerns about the persistent drop in calls and poor service quality across the country.

Ms Osei-Asare said many Ghanaians were unable to make uninterrupted calls despite telecom companies recording strong profits.

“It is the people of Ghana who are complaining we cannot even make calls, and it’s serious,” she said, urging stronger measures to improve service delivery.

Responding, the sector Minister, Mr Sam George said the government had already issued policy directives this year aimed at pushing telecom operators to expand infrastructure and improve network quality.

The minister told the committee that MTN Ghana rolled out 30 new sites in 2024 and 50 in 2025.


He said the figures did not match the rapid growth in smartphone and data usage over the years.

Mr George said that following government directives issued in the first quarter of this year, MTN Ghana was now rolling out 800 new sites, while Telecel Ghana planned an additional 350 sites.

He explained that improvements would take time because operators first had to secure sites and import network equipment ordered from manufacturers.

“But we cannot sit here, after 10 years of failing to take action, someone is taking action, and then you say that you want to see it as quickly as possible,” he said.

The discussion became heated after interruptions during the minister’s response.

“You have asked me a question. I have the floor. You will let me answer the question,” Mr George said before adding: “Don’t heckle me.”

Ms Osei-Asare maintained that her comment reflected frustrations being expressed by subscribers across the country. She argued that telecom operators had not matched their revenues with enough investment in network quality.

At one point during the exchange, other committee members intervened as both sides spoke over each other before proceedings continued.

Earlier, the PAC hearing examined disputed expenditure claims linked to a cybersecurity infrastructure contract at the Ministry of Communication, Digital Technology and Innovations.

The committee indicated that parts of the matter would be referred to the Attorney-General for further action.


Our newsletter gives you access to a curated selection of the most important stories daily. Don't miss out. Subscribe Now.

Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |