Security forces in Zambia have seized weapons and arrested 11 people, including senior opposition figures, over an alleged plot to overthrow the government, authorities say.
The leading opposition candidate in last Thursday’s presidential election, Brian Mundubile, was also found at the scene of a raid in the capital, Lusaka, according to Zambia’s top civil servant, Patrick Kangwa.
Mundubile dismissed the accusations as “total fabrications” in an interview with the BBC. He alleged that security forces staged an assassination attempt against him during a raid on his home on Friday.
With results from more than half of Zambia’s constituencies announced, incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema is leading with 62% of the vote, while Mundubile has 36%. Hichilema is seeking a second five-year term.
Mundubile, one of 13 challengers, had earlier claimed victory and alleged voting irregularities, though he did not provide evidence to support the claims.
Kangwa said those arrested were linked to “military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps”. He alleged that they posed “a serious threat to state security” and possessed “high-grade military weapons”, ammunition and other materials intended for an armed insurrection.
He also claimed that shots were fired at law enforcement officers during the raid, leading to an exchange of fire.
Mundubile, however, told the BBC that there was no militia at his home.
“It’s unfortunate that senior government officials would present themselves before the entire nation to make such falsehoods,” he told BBC Focus on Africa.
Among those arrested was Patrick Mwansa, the husband of Tasila Lungu, daughter of former Zambian President Edgar Lungu, along with other politicians, Kangwa said.
The suspects are being held at various police stations in Lusaka.
Mundubile said armed personnel used an armoured vehicle to break through the gate of his home before smashing doors and windows and opening fire.
“They were basically shooting indiscriminately. They directed two shots towards me. Like I’ve always said, it was just by God’s grace that I survived,” he said.
“So they came in to kill us.”
Mundubile also said former minister Mutotwe Kafwaya was shot while he and his wife were present. He said Kafwaya was bleeding and urged officers to take him to hospital. His current whereabouts are unknown.
Mundubile said the incident had left his family traumatised.
“My children saw their uncle… bleeding profusely and being dragged like an animal… 80 soldiers coming into the house, shooting indiscriminately and breaking doors and windows down is not an experience anybody would want to go through.”
He said he and his family had not returned home since Friday because they felt unsafe.
The day after the election, Mundubile maintained that his campaign’s parallel vote tabulation showed him in the lead and repeated allegations of irregularities without providing detailed evidence.
Authorities have rejected claims of vote rigging. Preliminary statements from election observers described polling day as largely peaceful and orderly, although observers raised concerns about late electoral reforms, media freedom and access to the media in the run-up to the vote.
